Geomarc and Geocentrix jointly offer a specialist consulting service to aid engineers undertaking numerical modelling and design of pile foundations (click here to download our brochure). Our experts on pile foundations are the authors of Repute, the UK's leading pile design software and widely used worldwide. The scope of our consulting service can be customized to fit your specific requirements. For example, you may wish to consult us if:
• You have limited in-house expertise/resources to dedicate to numerical modelling;
• You need someone to review your numerical analyses to increase your confidence;
• You need to tackle specific problems, such as the pile response due to earthquakes or to ground movements induced by tunnelling, landslides, excavations, consolidation, construction of adjacent piles or buildings, etc;
• You need a design check or an alternative solution to your pile design;
• You need to calibrate your preliminary pile analyses/design with the pile testing results in order to develop a serviceability limit approach for the final pile design.
Whether a small design check or a major R&D project, you will enjoy a high quality and cost-effective service tailored to fit your specific needs.
Piled raft response
Piled rafts are often a cost-effective type of foundation in which the applied loads are carried partly by the piles and partly by the raft contact stresses, thereby allowing a significant reduction in required pile length as compared to a conventional pile foundation. The latest raft module of PGROUPN* performs a non-linear boundary element analysis of the piled raft under general loading conditions. The negligible computational costs make the analysis suitable not only for the design of piled rafts supporting high rise buildings (generally based on complex and expensive 3D FEM or FDM analyses) but also for that of ordinary buildings and bridges.
Pile response to earthquakes
Repute Expert-Ease can provide specialist advice regarding seismic analysis and design of pile foundations. We make use of the latest seismic module of PGROUPN*, based on a practical pseudostatic approach which overcomes the limitations of Winkler models and the cost and complexity of dynamic FEM analyses. The approach, which is capable of accounting for both inertial and kinematic effects (as required by Eurocode 8 Part 5, EN 1998-5), involves two main steps:
(1) Free-field site response analysis to obtain the maximum ground displacement profile along the pile and the maximum ground surface acceleration generated by the earthquake;
(2) Static non-linear boundary element analysis of the pile group to estimate the deformation behaviour and internal forces of the piles, subjected to the maximum free-field ground displacement profile (kinematic loading) and to the pile cap load given by the cap-mass multiplied by the maximum free-field ground surface acceleration (inertial loading).
Pile response to tunnelling
The latest tunnel module of PGROUPN* provides a cost-effective method for estimating the deformation and load distribution of existing pile foundations during tunnelling excavation. Due to the negligible computational costs, a large number of cases can be analysed efficiently, enabling multiple tunnel configurations to be quickly examined and parametric studies to be readily performed. This represents a significant advantage over the cost and complexity of a complete 3D FEM/FDM analysis of tunnel-soil-pile interaction, particularly when non-linear soil behaviour is to be taken into account. The approach is based on two steps:
(1) Estimate of the free-field tunnelling-induced ground movements using alternative procedures, ranging from empirical methods and closed-form analytical solutions to 3D numerical analyses;
(2) Non-linear boundary element analysis of the pile group subjected to the computed free-field ground movements and to the superstructure loads.
Please feel free to contact us or Geocentrix to discuss your requirements. Our specialists will work with you to determine the scope of work necessary and present you with a proposal outlining what would be required for a resolution, including an estimate of all fees and expenses.
*These modules are not currently available in Repute
© Copyright 2001-present Geomarc Ltd. All rights reserved